But this year, it's been different. Based on what I've seen, given the economic strain that governments at all levels find themselves facing, I'm noticing that more and more are hiring later - perhaps a sign that they, like the private sector, are waiting to confirm budgets and hiring needs before recruiting.
And so today, I'm highlighting a summer job opportunity with the City of Toronto - one that I expected would've been posted earlier in the year. But regardless, it's still a great opportunity to gain valuable work experience in the public sector while earning a decent salary.
Job Title:Summer Student Clerical 2nd Year
File Reference #: 11SUM30
Job status: Temporary - approx. 4 months
Salary: $16.26 per hour
- Assists in clerical tasks as they relate to the administrative and financial responsibilities of the program area
- Performs computer related tasks such as data entry in SAP, Excel spreadsheets, Word documents, Work Management system (Hansen) etc.
- Responds to enquiries, files, and photocopies
- Provides backup and support to Administrative Assistants and Support Assistants
- Responds to inquiries/complaints made in person by telephone or in writing
- Operates office equipment and computers utilizing a variety of software packages
1. Currently enrolled in or a recent graduate of a post secondary degree or diploma program in business studies or other related program area.
2. Strong computer skills including experience in the use of Microsoft Office (i.e. MS Word Excel, PowerPoint).
3. Strong mathematical and analytical skills.
4. Very good interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to interact with staff and clients in an efficient and diplomatic manner, both in person and over the phone.
5. Excellent organizational skills.
6. Interpersonal skills to work effectively as a member of a team
7. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
8. Ability to work under time constraints and meet deadlines.
Note: The applicant pool from this job posting may be used for similar summer job opportunities in various divisions.
To apply for this summer job opportunity with the City of Toronto, you must complete the City of Toronto Summer Job Application Form. This form can be found at the bottom the job ad - just click the blue "Apply for this position" button.
In addition to your personal details, you will need to cut and paste your resume and cover letter into the appropriate section of the application form.
INSIDER'S TIP: Because the City of Toronto uses Resumix to collect resumes, you must ensure that you have a well-formatted and keyword-heavy electronic resume and cover letter. Also, make sure that you format your resume correctly since special fonts and characters will not show up properly.
To really make your application stand out, read a previous post I wrote on how to analyze job ads for specific keywords - I used a City of Toronto advertisement as an example and I recommend reading it before completing your application.
One last thing, the deadline for applications is tomorrow, May 24, 2011.