One of the organizations currently looking for summer camp staff is the YMCA of Greater Toronto, a non-profit charity that runs summer day camps for more than 4,700 children and youth.
The camps offer attendees a fun and safe environment where they can take part in a number of activities and sports at 13 different locations throughout the Greater Toronto Area. Some of the camps operate out of the YMCA's Health, Fitness & Recreation centres located in Mississauga, Brampton, Metro-Central, North York, Markham, Scarborough, and Durham locations. Two camps also operate out of two Toronto schools: Fern Avenue Public School and George S Henry Academy. And for the outdoor enthusiasts, the YMCA offers four outdoor day camps at Cedar Glen, Kelso in Milton, Bruce’s Mill in Stouffville and Toronto Island.
The Counsellor - Day Camp position with the YMCA is a fixed-term contract that runs from June 25 to September 3, 2010. There is no mention of the salary; however, most summer camps pay between $10 and $14 per hour so you can use that as a guide.
The responsibilities of the job include:
- Acts as a positive role model for children, youth, and fellow staff
- Ensures that all children and youth are safely supervised at all times
- Plans and delivers fun, age- appropriate, and challenging programs as outlined in the program manual
- Recognizes the uniqueness and interests of each child and youth and assists them to identify and successfully achieve their goals during their day camp experience
- Participates enthusiastically with campers in all camp activities including daily programs, special events and swimming
- Responds to all parent inquiries in a courteous and prompt manner
- Share with the team the duties of ensuring the camp site is clean, organized, and safe
- Attends and participates in all staff trainings and meetings
- Models appropriate behaviours to staff in line with our Mission, Vision and Values; establishes rapport and maintains effective relationship building behaviours with staff and members
- Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner
- Understands and integrates the value of philanthropy and volunteerism and imparts this knowledge and belief upon staff, volunteers and members
- Other duties as assigned
And in terms of job qualifications, successful applications must have:
- A minimum 1 year experience in a child-oriented program preferred
- Current Standard First Aid and Basic Rescuer CPR
- Certification and/or experience in a camp program specialty preferred
- Well developed interpersonal, and relationship building skills; ability to establish rapport and excellent communication with members, staff and volunteers; excellent written communication skills
- Experience and sensitivity in dealing with members of different cultural and racial backgrounds, including visible and invisible dimensions of diversity
- Minimum of 17 years of age by the first day of camp is recommended
To apply, send your resume and cover letter quoting job posting # CYFD702 by Wednesday, March 24, 2010 to the attention of:
Ms. Jillian Sewell
103-60 Centurian Drive
Markham, Ontario, L3R 8T6
Applications can be sent via fax (905-943-7612) or via email (email@example.com).
Remember, the deadline is tomorrow, March 24!