Do you dream about a career in the travel industry?
Are you passionate about Ontario?
Do you have excellent customer service skills?
If you answered 'yes' to all three questions, then the Ontario Travel Information Centres (OTICs) have an exciting summer employment opportunity for you.
Each year, OTICs across Ontario hire a number of Summer Travel Counsellors to work in 11 year-round and 7 seasonal centres, located at border entry points and other strategic locals throughout Ontario. The OTICs are open 7 days a week and promote Ontario tourism by offering information and trip planning advice, along with important visitor services like currency exchange, hotel reservations, and attraction passes.
Summer Travel Counsellors work from May to Labour Day in September and if you're available, your contract can be extended to Thanksgiving in October. Due to the hours the centres are open, you must be available to work a variety of shifts and be willing to work up to 36.25 hours per week.
The salary is comparable to other summer employment opportunities as Summer Travel Counsellors earn between $10.25 and $11.10 per hour.
The job involves a variety of duties including:
- Determining client’s needs and researching tourism literature, websites and relevant material to provide information to clients
- Encourage clients to extend their travel plans within Ontario
- Perform a variety of administrative tasks including stocking and re-ordering brochures, retail sales and cash handling as part of the merchandising program
Other requirements for the job include:
- A basic knowledge of the Ontario tourism industry and geography
- General knowledge of customer service practices, including face-to-face and telephone
- General knowledge of computer software applications and the internet
- Retail and cash handling experience
- Good interpersonal/communication skills
- Teamwork skills
- Knowledge of French, German, Spanish or another language is an asset
- Be willing to purchase a subsidized uniform at a cost of $50
To apply, download the OTIC recruitment pamphlet and send your resume and cover letter to the appropriate contact person.