Last week, local media outlets were abuzz as the City of Toronto launched its long-awaited 311 service. Essentially, if a resident calls 311, s/he can receive information on municipal services and programmes - think of it as a one-stop shop for everything Toronto-related.
As such, the City of Toronto is now recruiting a number of Part-Time 311 Contact Centre Services Representatives.
This is an excellent opportunity for those considering a career in the public sector. Also, it's a great opportunity students seeking a part-time job with flexible hours as the line will be staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - there will undoubtedly be shifts available to fit each person's individual schedule.
According to the job ad, the main responsibilities of the job include:
- Answering inquiries and complaints received on all 311 access channels (including telephone, email, in person)
- Explaining policies and procedures to the public
- Referring calls to proper authorities when necessary, initiates service requests and records related information
- Liaising with internal divisions, Emergency Services, and contracted service providers.
- Interpreting and providing information on compliance requirements for applicable legislation, by-laws, policies and procedures
- Making decisions and critical recommendations (e g. approving eligibility for licensing) using delegated authority
As well, successful applicants will have, among other things:
- Considerable experience working in a customer service and call centre environment
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills to deal effectively, both orally and in writing
- An ability to exercise good judgement in public relations when dealing with members of the public, media, and all levels of staff, including elected officials
- Demonstrated ability in conflict resolution to create and maintain cooperative working relationships with staff, the public, and other personnel
- Excellent multitasking, organizational and time management skills, including attention to details, ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and deal with conflicting priorities & work demands
- An ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion and tact
- Availability to work various shifts including evenings, nights, weekends and statutory/religious holidays, and overtime as needed
To apply for the job, complete the online application form and upload your electronic resume and cover letter - ensure that both quote the File Reference #X9CSA18712.
And make sure you apply soon as the deadline for all applications is October 5, 2009!