The City of Toronto is looking to hire students to work in the municipal/urban planning division. This is a great opportunity for students studying urban policy/design/geography or environmental science.
Here are the details:
Position: Work Term Student
File Reference #: X9SUM002
- Within the context of municipal planning and current planning issues in Ontario, participates in a field survey by gathering data from business establishments, buildings and properties in the City of Toronto for use in urban planning research and policy development
- Independently visits places of employment and other locations and determines and records various characteristics, e.g. building name; business name; number of employees; primary land use, employment activity; development and construction characteristics
- Enters data into the employment and land use databases (using a tablet computer in the field and in-office systems), reads building permits and plans, edits and verifies material, and conducts telephone call-backs when necessary
- Precisely follows procedures and works accurately and efficiently within strict time frames, and keeps supervisors proactively advised of the status of the assigned work
- Assists in general office duties as required
1. Currently enrolled in, and having completed at least one year of a post-secondary educational degree programme in Urban Planning or in Geography or Environmental Studies with an emphasis on urban and/or regional planning.
2. Highly developed organizational, problem solving and multi-tasking skills with the ability to plan, assess priorities and perform the work.
3. Basic computer literacy, preferably in a Windows environment
4. Willing to travel extensively throughout the City of Toronto and able to work cooperatively in a team environment.
5. Ability to carry a significant amount of paper and/or a tablet computer with a weight of 2.5 kg for daily field survey work.
To apply for this position, click here. If that link does not work, you can also visit the City's Summer Job Board - scroll down the page, and click on the "Apply for this position" button.
You will be asked to fill out a simple form and upload a resume and cover letter. Please ensure your application quotes File #X9SUM002 - otherwise, your application may not be filled correctly.
Applications must be received by March 12, 2009.